Sunday, February 13, 2011

60 Day Wellness Program

Greetings and Salutations,
I am thrilled about this journey we are going to start together. This is always the scary part; anticipating the first date before we know each other and wondering what’s going to happen next… I can promise you a few things about our ten weeks together: firstly, that it will not be boring and secondly, that your thoughts about food will change dramatically. Like any new relationship the anticipation is almost as exciting as the first brush and I would like you to harness that enthusiasm while I am gone to accomplish a few things.
Homework:
Watch “Food, Inc.” You can get this from Netflix. I believe it is available immediately via streaming. If you request it from the library it will be available prior to the class.
Read at least one of the following books: “the Kind Diet” Alicia Silverstone / “The Omnivores Dilemma” Michael Pollan / “the China Study” T. Colin Campbell / “Skinny Bitches” Freedman and Barnounin (this is in your face girlfriend talk so it is not for the weak or modest)
Open a facebook account and friend both me and Wendy O’Bier Baker. If you don’t have one already it takes literally ten minutes and allows us all to communicate with each other easily. You do not have to “DO” facebook. Wendy and I will help you set it up so it goes directly to your cell or email.
DON’T DO ANYTHING ELSE! I know this sounds counterintuitive, but there are a lot of different reactions to starting something new. You may feel compelled to eat everything you’ve ever wanted (I have to give it up next week, might as well eat it now) or you may feel like you want to start your “diet” now and get a jump start on the program. I want you to do neither. This is not a diet, it’s a lifestyle change and if you start off thinking about it as diet and deprivation you are setting yourself up for failure. Keep track of your cravings and use them to fill out your flavor profile.
Couple of details:
The orientations will be held on either Thursday, January 20th or Friday the 21st . The Thursday orientation will be held at Independence Hall at the Conference Center ( address 23938 Stew Enson Rd. Millsboro, DE US 19966 ...) The Friday orientation will be held at Hobos 56 Baltimore Avenue, Rehoboth Beach. Both orientations will begin at 6pm and will include food. Please give Wendy an email RSVP so she can plan for the numbers. Bring yourselves, a list of questions and your FLAVOR PROFILES. (document attached) Please make sure you read my sample flavor profile before you panic. Everything else will be clear after the orientation. I promise.
The actual classes begin the week of the 24th so your first classes will be at Hobos starting that week. All classes begin at 6pm and end around 9. Trust me, time flies and you won’t believe it’s only been three hours.
While I am away you may reach me via email or facebook but not via text or phone. You may also contact Wendy with any questions or final details. I will be returning on the 17th/18th and then I am completely, totally, utterly yours for the next ten weeks. We are going to have so much fun.
Can’t wait to begin this marvelous adventure together.
Gretchen Hanson chefgretchen@gmail.com 302.381.1821
Wendy O’Bier Baker wobaker@gmail.com 302.542.7088

No comments:

Post a Comment